It's no secret that I love Cart Life, having already dubbed it "game of 2011" and breaking down why it succeeds, mechanic by mechanic. I even begged Adam Smith of RPS to take a look at it. He called the police because I wouldn't leave his bathroom, but he still posted about it anyway.
But an important question remains: Who is Richard Hofmeier?
I wanted to find out, figuring Electron Dance readers might be interested too, so I utilised modern games journalism techniques such as phone hacking and the hiring of private investigators.
The result is an Electron Dance podcast: one hour of conversation with the man himself. As an added bonus, it is low on Cart Life spoilers, so no excuses! I will warn you, though, I consume food at a critical juncture.
Keep In Touch
- HM "Full Bore is on hold at the moment but I look forward to getting back to it soon. Just before I signed off last time,..." – Warm Up / 301113
- Phlebas "100% now! Clearing up the last few mysteries turned out not to take as long as I expected (though that is partly because the mysteries..." – Warm Up / 301113
- HM "Nicolau, I didn't go chasing up the original story because I didn't want to get confused between judging the game on its own merits and..." – Counterweight 9: Suzy and freedom
- Nicolau "Looking back, I can tell that the minigames/puzzles were a bit of hit-and-miss. To a degree, I blame time. It was made for an RPGMaker.net’s..." – Counterweight 9: Suzy and freedom
- HM "There's something important I meant to say that I've just remembered. Something clever here I forgot to comment on." – Counterweight 9: Suzy and freedom
- HM "I'm sure Nicolau! Including how to pronounce your name correctly... I've got some more explicit notes out on Thursday. For me, all your games are..." – Counterweight 9: Suzy and freedom
- Nicolau "Oh boy... I'll think a little before posting a proper reply. But thanks for this podcast! It's making me think of some things. Things about..." – Counterweight 9: Suzy and freedom
- HM "Shaun, the first is tomorrow. It is our Counterweight on Suzy and freedom. Notes to follow on Thursday! Phlebas, I haven't completed Full Bore yet..." – Warm Up / 301113
- Phlebas "Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about Full Bore - I've been enjoying it a lot, old-school puzzly gameplay with some modern..." – Warm Up / 301113
- ShaunCG "This is very exciting because I know very little about all of these games. I hunger for words." – Warm Up / 301113
- matt w ""I’d probably argue that it’s not that simplistic, because what’s happened is the destruction of price tiers – price is no longer a signal, it’s..." – Open Mike 9
- Arcadian Rhythms
- Brindle Brothers
- Gnome's Lair
- Jordan Rivas
- Tap Repeatedly
- Unlimited Hyperbole
- Die Gute Fabrik
- In the Games of Madness (Frictional)
- Jonas Kyratzes
- Mighty Vision
- Pippin Barr
- Retro Remakes
- The Astronauts
- The Ingenious Gentleman
Electron Dance on TwitterMy Tweets
- Post launch thoughts on releasing on the OUYA store…OK, so I finally managed to throw something up the pipe. Just a quick scrappy little thing in the shape of a port of War Twat now called WAR DADDY. And y’know, I’m fairly happy with how it’s all gone all told. However, it’s also helped cement some thoughts on my concerns about the store […]
- December 8th*taps microphone* Is this thing on? Hello there! I am Alan Williamson, and this is This Week in Videogame Blogging! Market, Research Over at Polygon, Tracey Lien examines why games aren’t marketed at girls. It’s a well-researched piece that interviews marketing executives, early women developers like Carol Shaw and Lori Cole, and as is obligatory …Read more […]
- I’m Irrationally Angry About Transformers LegendsI’ve been awfully positive on Tap-Repeatedly lately, mostly just writing little blurbs about indie games I have enjoyed. I have more of those! But first a digression while I download an Android/iPhone game called Transformers Legends, and then rant about it.The post I’m Irrationally Angry About Transformers Legends appeared first on Tap-Repeatedly.
- Saturday Spotlight: Light (CBET)This week's Saturday Spotlight is a pick from the Russian Indie Bundle.
- War Daddy! War Harder! Yes!With thanks to James of RGCD for chucking an OUYA over in the first place and @lingmops for the new now 100% less offensive name, War Daddy (previously War Twat) is now available for absolutely proper free on the OUYA store. It was a tough choice choosing the new name from a lot of very […]
- Drawing: Close Shave[…]
- Thoughts On "Alone Together" Collaborative/Competitive Networked Play ("Multiplayer" Is A Stretch)This is an idea that I originally had for The Last Federation, our upcoming title, but which I think could be applicable to all sorts of games, including our last title, Bionic Dues. Right now it is just a for-future-exploration sort of idea, but I wanted to put my thoughts out there and see what sort of response players have to it.So here we go:Some Games […]
- Trekabout Episode 66: When the Bough Breaks/Home SoilOur episodes this week are all about strange lifeforms that are hard to understand. “When the Bough Breaks” features an alien planet full of kidnappers who decide they really need a few bad child actors and Wesley Crusher. Meanwhile, “Home Soil” features the Federation discovering that silicon-based life exists. Wait a second. Also! Data’s penis […]
- Some Possible Relationships To Time In a GameSince I have been making games of different “lengths” I have been trying to think about different ways you could end up relating to time. I’ve made ten games about time so far, but I probably haven’t managed to capture ten really distinct relationships. C’est la vie. Here is what I have been thinking […]
- WHAT THE FLUCK!Every month or so there is a new scandal - mass snooping by the NSA, allegations of price-fixing by giant energy companies, major banks corruptly rigging interest rates, giant modern bureaucracies like Serco and G4S ripping off the taxpayer, children's entertainers from the past charged with sexual abuse. But these stories never seem to add up to a bigg […]